Dr Clare Middle BVMS, Dip.Ac.,Dip.Hom.
YOU CAN DOWNLOAD A PRINTABLE VERSION OF THIS PAGE BY CLICKING HERE
- Homeopathic flea prevention drops either a few drops twice daily into mouth or 20 drops once daily into water bowl, for about a month, or herbal eg Greenpet ‘Fleafree’ in water/food.
- Shampoo monthly with usual shampoo mixed with eg neem/lavender oil 50:50.
- Rinse afterwards with a few drops of insect repellent essential oil eg neem or lavender oil mixed with water or lemon water with a dash of vinegar (to emulsify oil with water), towel dry. (To make up lemon water, cut up lemons into chunks, pour boiling water onto them and leave to soak for 2 days, then strain liquid off, or use Greenpet Lemon Dog Rinse).
- Spray daily with oil/lemon mixture, especially on rump but ideally all animal. Neem and Lavender oils are safe even if licked off by the animal, in fact it is therapeutic if taken internally. (This is NOT the case with most other essential oils which can be toxic).
- Rinse all bedding after washing with strong dilution of eucalyptus or tea tree oil (with a dash of vinegar to mix the oils into the water) and dry without rinsing. Repeat at least monthly.
- Vacuum carpets well and frequently.
- Use strong eucalyptus or tea tree dilution in watering can to wash floors, soak pet’s kennel and favourite sleeping patches on sand or paving or doormats etc. (DO NOT use eucalyptus or tea tree or citronella directly onto animal, as these strong oils are likely to be toxic to animals).
- The flea life cycle is about a month in the summer, so keep up intensive treatment for at least a month.
© Clare Middle 2015